Chimney fire at Higher Clovelly
By tinap | Monday, February 25, 2013, 12:21
A fire crew from Hartland were called to put out a chimney that had caught fire at a farmhouse in Higher Clovelly yesterday (February 25) at 5.45pm. The fire involved a woodburner and was extinguished using chimney rods and small tools.
The fire is the latest in a string of chimney fires that have taken place recently. On february 20th, the Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service attended seven chimney fires in one day, prompting the service to issue the following advice:
• always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
• make sure embers are properly put out before you go to bed or leaving the house
• when burning wood, use dry, seasoned woods only
• never burn cardboard boxes or waste paper
• do not overload the grate
• bird nests, cobwebs and other blockages within chimney to be removed
• consider having a carbon monoxide detector fitted as an additional safeguard against the build-up of poisonous fumes
• have a working smoke alarm
Chimneys need to be dirt free to allow the free passage of dangerous combustion gasses, so regular cleaning will remove soot and creosote, and help prevent dangerous chimney fires. Make sure your chimney is swept regularly by a registered chimney sweep.
Sweeping frequencies below are for guidance only. Frequency will depend on a number of factors including: type of fuel, appliance used, duration of use, moisture content of wood fuel, type of chimney.
Smokeless coals at least once a year
Wood up to four times a year
Bituminous coal twice a year
Oil once a year
Gas once a year
• regularly check your alarms by pressing the button
• once a year – change your battery or consider buying a ten-year alarm which will not require frequent battery changes
• once a year – vacuum and wipe the smoke alarm casing to ensure dust isn't blocking the sensor chamber (for mains wired alarms, switch off first)